Event Date: 9/28

Time: 11:15 - 12:15

Location: Innovation Center

Cost: free

When: Wednesday, Sept. 28th 
Where: Innovation Center, rm 445
Who: Jannet Dženeta Habibović is a full-time MIAD employee working in the Marketing Department as MIAD’s graphic designer. 2019 MIAD alumni, Communication Design major and New Studio Practice minor.

Abstract

This past August, I participated in the Kuma International Summer School program in Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina. Kuma International Center for Visual Arts is focused on giving Bosnian artists around the world the opportunity to gather and be seen in their artistic projects. This summer’s course worked with internationally recognized Bosnian artist Aida Sehovic and her plan to install a public monument in the town of Srebrenica next year. Healing generational trauma through art, design, and education.

My time at KUMA serves as research for exploring Bosnian-American collective memory and personal family narratives. Currently being visualized through archiving my grandfather’s weavings, known as traditional Bosanski ćilim. Bosnanski ćilim are functional weavings that Bosnians have used for centuries as a source of: warmth, spirituality, culture, and story-telling. 

My parents and older sister are refugees from Bosnia – my entire childhood was tied to my cultural identity. During my time as a student at MIAD, I shared the history of the Bosnian genocide with my peers through art & design – I hope to continue to do the same as a working professional. Thank you for taking the time to allow me to share this with you.

For more information contact: Margaret Schmitz, margaretschmitz@miad.edu